Wednesday, March 7, 2018

February Book Review

Happy Middle of the Week and Book Review Day!



Last month I only read two books. 
I got stuck in a rut, and then life as a teacher got super busy, so I didn't have much time to read. 
I will say that the two books I did read were phenomenal. 


Flight #116 is Down


I was looking for a book that would be part of my spring literature circles and wasn't sure what to grab.
One of my co-workers suggested Flight #116 is Down.
I quickly ordered it from the library and sat down to read it.
This book is a really easy read.
Heidi lives in the Dove House.
She's surrounded by fancy decorations, a caretaker and parents who are always on the go.
Another round of trips leaves Heidi alone with her care taker when she hears an overpowering sound. She then realizes that a plane has crashed on their property.
Heidi puts the ball in motion when she goes to the aid of the badly hurt.
This book encapsulates a story of not only trying to help all of the passengers survive but in befriending the help and maybe making lifelong friends.
This was a great book, but it wasn't as high of a level that I was wishing for my literature circles, so I decided to go with option #2.
I'm currently finishing option #2, so I hope to report back on it during my March Book Review.



Refugee

I ordered Refugee a few months ago and hadn't had the chance to read it.
A lot of the boys in my classes had been passing it around, so I was interested in seeing what all it was about.
Three different stories are told in this book from three different time periods.
Josef is trying to escape the Nazi's in Germany during the 1930's.
Isabel is trying to escape Cuba in the 90's and Mahmoud is trying to escape the Syrian war in 2015. All three of these children are with their families trying to escape to a new country and create a new and better life.
Each time that they think they've found the answer, another obstacle pops up.
There's only so much time before they will be captured or returned to their homeland.
Will their escape efforts work or will they return and have to start all over again?
I loved that each chapter gave just enough information to make you wonder what was going to happen next.
As soon as you were onto the plot line, the chapter ended and another story began.
This really kept me intrigued and wanting to read more.

That's all for today. 
Hopefully, next month I will have more books to report back with!


1 comment:

  1. Both of these books sound so interesting! I’ve not been reading as much as I’d like to lately, and I need to make more time for it!

    ReplyDelete