Friday, August 25, 2017

Classroom Setup: Back 2 School Series

Happy Friday!
It's the last day of the Back 2 School Series. 

Hopefully, come next week I will be back in the swing of things and school life will be a new norm. 

Today's final topic is classroom setup!


My classroom is actually very large. 
I've been fortunate enough to stay in the same room for all six years that I've taught. 
I love this room because it looks out on a hillside, and if you know me I love my blinds open and seeing outside.

I'm not a fan of desks in rows. 
I'm not even sure if I've ever had my desks in rows. 
I know some teachers do that because students just can't behave, and I hope I don't have to go to that. 

Instead I put my desk into clusters. 
No more than five together or else it becomes social hours.

Here's a little view of my classroom last year:







And here it is currently:

Welcome to my home away from home!



My new book section. 
I'm trying to work on a book corner where all of my books are housed in the same area.

Agenda and Homework boards.

Some new posters and miscellaneous stashing of books and other needed items.
I need to make this area look cute, but right now I'm not spending anymore money on my classroom. 
Those classrooms can suck the money right out of you!

Read Revise Edit
I love this wall!!
I challenge students to find mistakes, take a picture of them or cut them out and then post them on this wall. 
We find errors on billboards, fast food restaurant signs, on news channels, in the newspaper, on ads, etc.
I think this is a great way to show how relevant and important being able to read and revise your work is!

A view of the front board from my desk.

A wider view of the front. 
The bookshelf with all of the supplies to the right of the picture are the students' supplies. 
They don't have to ask me to use any of that. 
They simply borrow it and put it back. 
This way they don't try to take things off of my desk!

So that's my home away from home for the next 180 days.
It's a bit toasty in there right now, but soon it will be freezing and I will be wishing I could wear my winter coat all of the time. 

Have a great Friday! 
See you back here next week to wrap up the month!

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely love your classroom! It definitely is a big room and I'm sure to the kiddos it seems much bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks great! I love a double horseshoe set-up and have used it for years. At my new school, the trend is table groups, and since the rooms are so small, it is easier to fit 36 kids in 6 tables vs. horseshoes. Hopefully this works out for me! Have a most relaxing weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your classroom looks great! And amen to your "classrooms can suck the money right out of you" comment. It's crazy how quickly all the little things you buy add up. I hope your school year is off to a good start!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your classroom looks great! And amen to your "classrooms can suck the money right out of you" comment. It's crazy how quickly all the little things you buy add up. I hope your school year is off to a good start!

    ReplyDelete