Thursday, August 3, 2017

Sweet Summertime Recap: Week 10

10 whole weeks of summertime fun have gone by!
I remember my first week of summer.
I wasn't even sure I would have enough things to keep me busy throughout the summer, but I've found my way to week 10.


Thursday, July 27

Alex drove to Tennessee Wednesday night.
He had a few extra vacation days, so he came down early.

Thursday we enjoyed some pool time in the morning and then headed to the Smokey Mountains.
I finished Balancing in Heels before I jumped in to cool off.

We always enjoy a trip to the mountains.
This time we were interested in seeing the destruction that unfortunately was done during the fires last fall.


All of those hill sides were burnt.



A view from the top-luckily untouched!

 The other side.

More destruction on our way down.
We saw the trail head where the fire started-Chimney Top Trail.
It is now closed.
You can't pull off at that area or anything.
It's so eerie to see how mother nature works.
There would be spots of green vegetation and then boom burnt, then grass and trees then burnt.

It was hard to capture all of the destruction.
We saw one cabin area that was intact but the trees and everything right in front of it were burnt.
I cannot image the terror those people endured!

For dinner we stopped at the Apple Barn in Pigeon Forge.
It's a neat little campus with a restaurant, shops, candy store, ice cream store, Christmas store and wine tasting.

I'll share more about our trip to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge in the coming weeks.

Friday, July 28

Friday was a rainy one.
Alex and I got in a morning walk, which was so pleasant and enjoyable.
They were calling for rain all day, so I love it when I get to sneak in a little exercise.

We then headed downtown Knoxville for lunch.
We ate at Stock and Barrel for burgers and fries and then indulged in a delicious milkshake.

Hello s'mores!!

This milkshake was delicious!! 
Yum yum yum!
They have S'mores, Nutella and PB&J!

Saturday, July 29

Saturday was a great day to enjoy a morning run/walk and some pool time.
We really just enjoyed this day, and then in the afternoon we hit up Gander Mountain for some deals!
They're going out of business, and we both snagged a few bargains!


Sunday, July 30

Sunday was our travel day, but first we got in a morning walk.
I could walk the trails in and out of allotments every single morning. 
I don't care if there was 10 inches of snow; I'd still walk.



I planned to head back home by 12, and we left at 10 till, but then we stopped at the mall. 
We don't have a ton of stores back home, so it's always fun to shop while we are out of town. 
Alex found some great tool deals at Sears!!
I used a gift card at Victoria's Secret, and we indulged on some sandwich cookies at the Great American Cookie. 
8 hours later we made it home.

Monday, July 31

Monday was full of errands. 
I ran here and there to get groceries and pick up other things. 

One of our local radio stations does a half off deal on Friday's. 
They feature local restaurants/stores and you can buy a $25 gift card at half off. 
Alex does the buying, and I do the picking up!
Those people nearly know us by name now. 

I also grabbed some recipes of my grandma that I got framed. 
I will show you the finished product once I get them hung.

In the afternoon I drove Alex's cousin to the airport to head back to Florida. 
I grabbed some Olive Garden and used half of a gift card we had since they were running a buy one take one deal. 
2 meals for $12.99!!


Tuesday, August 1

 It's so foggy in the mornings now that it doesn't even feel like summer.
I got in a morning run among the fog.
Then, I enjoyed some sunshine at the pool.

In the afternoon I headed out to my parents.
I followed this on my way...


Fresh pickings.

Wednesday, August 2

I feel like this was my last day at the pool.
It was a super enjoyable one at that.
Only one other person was there.
I enjoyed some conversation and this book.
I was set to finish this book before leaving, but the rain had other plans.
I had to head out a bit early, but I finished it as soon as I got home.
Thank you Allie for suggesting it.
I can't wait to use it in my literature circles this fall.


One more week, and then it's back to work for me!
Summer was great, but I'm getting anxious to get back in a routine!
I'm trying to think of every last minute thing that I'd like to do before my free days are up.
Can you think of anything I should do before its back to work?

4 comments:

  1. Definitely spend more days at the pool!!!! Soak that up! :) Your trip sounds like it was a lot of fun, and holy cow that smores milkshake is speaking to me - wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a beautiful trip! My hubby and I love to take long walks when the kids are out of town at grandma's. Make sure you Google Salva Dut and check out his website and videos on YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your trip sounds wonderful! I need that milkshake in my life. It sounds divine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The mountains are one of our favorite places to visit! Can't wait to hear more about your trip, and that smores milkshake looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete