Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Hummingbird Food


I know it's spring when I see my little hummingbird's back in the yard. 
I love these little creatures so much. 

Actually a couple of years ago I nursed one back to life. 
They like to fight at my parents. 
They don't like sharing the feeder. 
I think one either got attacked by another hummer or by another bird. 
It was laying on our sidewalk out back, so I moved it and was putting sugar water to its beak throughout the day. 

I tried calling a local bird rescue but didn't hear back from there. 
Later in the day when I went back to find the hummer he was gone. 
My hope is that he flew away and wasn't eaten by another bird. 

So, I love my hummers and feed them regularly. 
We now have 2 feeders because the two hummers we have were fighting. 

Here's my simple and easy recipe to make them some food. 

Bring 2 cups of water to boil.


Measure out 1/2 C. sugar

Put the sugar in a bowl.

 Add the boiling water and stir until dissolved.

Let stand in the refrigerator until cold. 

Empty out your old feeder and wash it out. 
You can use water and a brush (toothbrush or small bottle brush work great!) or water and a little vinegar and a brush. 
Be sure to clean out the feeder completely. 

Fill with the new mixture. 

Change the feeder every week or when the water starts to look hazy. 
When it's really hot out you will want to change it every day or two. 
Otherwise I change mine once a week.

These creatures are so neat. 
I swear they are part human. 
As soon as I take their feeder down they will buzz by my head as if they're saying "Hey, where are you taking my food?"


The other day I just put our feeder back out and one of the hummingbirds flew to each side of the window where I was sitting and kept flying back and forth.
 I felt like he was trying to tell me something, but I don't know what it was. 
I'm going to think he was trying to tell me thanks! ;)

I love watching them on a daily basis!
You should get a feeder and feed them too!


2 comments:

  1. This is really good idea! I've seen a few hummingbirds around our house. I may have to do this for them. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this! We have a feeder and never fill it because we didn't have luck with the store bought feed. I will totally try this! Please add this to my Try It Thursday post this week- it totally counts as a recipe!

    ReplyDelete