Thursday, December 1, 2016

Broccoli Cheese Soup

Once a week one of my co-workers makes lunch for us, so that we don't have to pack or eat cafeteria food. 
Where I teach there aren't any restaurants nearby, so it's not like in the business world where you get to go out to eat or order things in. 
We pack or eat cafeteria food! 
#teacherlife #everyonelovesboscosticksday
Sometimes we have a taco bar or soups and grilled cheese
Recently we had grilled cheese, chili and broccoli cheese soup.
I've been hungry for soup and thought of making potato soup to use some potatoes from my garden, but then I made hamloaf and cheesy potatoes and had so much leftover that I thought making another potato dish wasn't a good idea. 


Items needed:
1/2 C. butter
1 onion. chopped
1-16 oz. package frozen broccoli, chopped
4-14.5 oz. cans chicken broth
1 pound Velveeta cheese, cubed
2 C. milk
1 TBSP. garlic powder
2/3 C. cornstarch
1 C. water

 Melt butter.

 Chop onion.
I used a half instead of a whole because we aren't really onion fans.

 Saute onion in butter.

 Chop up broccoli.
I used two frozen bags that I let thaw in the refrigerator for a day.
I used my Ninja to chop them and it literally took 5 seconds.
I even stood and counted because that machine is just so slick.
If you don't have one, you need one!

 Dump broccoli into butter and onion mixture.

Add chicken broth.
About 60 oz. is good.
You could use 4 small cans or two larger cans.

  Let mixture simmer for 10-15 minutes.

 Reduce heat, stir in Velveeta cubed. 
Mix until melted.
Add milk and garlic powder.

I forgot to take a picture but you put 1 C. water in a bowl and add in 2/3 C. of cornstarch until it's mixed through.

 Add cornstarch mixture to the soup. 
Mix continually until thickened.

 A perfect Sunday afternoon dish.
The day I made this was even more fitting as it was snowing outside, so a warm bowl of soup was just what we needed!

*Recipe courtesy of AllRecipes


No comments:

Post a Comment